Work item templates are available from the Quick Detail Page (QDP). They allow you to create templates for multiple fields, and can include child tasks.
Create a Template
Select a work item to base the template on. It should have the desired fields filled out correctly, and include any tasks that you want in the template.
Follow these steps:
- Open the work item in QDP (by selecting the FormattedID).
- In the QDP, select Templates.
- Select + New Template.
- Set up your template.
- Select the to remove any fields that you do not want to include in the template.
- For text fields, you have the option to define whether the template content replaces, prepends, or appends the field contents.
- Depending on your permissions, you can select who can see the template. Learn more.
- Give your template a name.
- Select Add.
Child Tasks in a Template
When you create a template from a story that has associated tasks, the task template includes:
- Plan Estimate
If the tasks have required fields, applying the story template will not create the tasks.
Child Stories in a Template
If you create a template for the lowest level portfolio item (for example, feature) or for epic stories, you can also include the top level of child stories in the template. The fields included in child story templates are:
Apply a Template
To apply a template:
- Open the work item on which you want to apply the template in QDP.
- Select Templates.
- Select the template to apply, then select Apply. The template is applied to your open QDP item.
- Select Save.
Change the Default Template
Each Visible To level (Me, Project, or Workspace) can have a default template.
To change the default:
- Select Templates.
- Unselect the current default template.
- Select the new default template.
The template that takes priority is marked with an asterisk (*).
Modify a Template
There is no way to modify an existing template. You can create a new template from an existing template
Follow these steps:
- Create a new work item of the same type as the template you want to modify.
- Apply the template that you would like to modify to that blank work item.
- Make the necessary changes to the work item, then use the Template button to create a new template.
- Once the new template is created, you can delete the old template.
Defaults and Sharing
Any administrator can share templates and set them as defaults at the scope they are an administrator for and below. Each user, project, and workspace can have only one default at each level: each user can have a personal default, each project can have a project default, and each workspace can have a workspace default.
- Project and workspace defaults and sharing apply to the project or workspace that the work item is in.
- If you make a template visible to a project, you can share the template with child projects.
You can also make it the default template for that project hierarchy.
- Select Share with Child Projects.
- Select Default for Project.
- Defaults are applied as follows (there will be an asterisk next to the template that will be applied):
- If a user-specific default exists, apply it.
- If not, check for a project-specific default. If one exists, apply it.
- If not, check for a workspace-specific default. If one exists, apply it.
- Project administrators can share templates and set defaults for projects where they are administrators. They can also delete any templates for projects where they are administrators.
- Workspace administrators can share templates and set defaults for workspaces and child projects where they are administrators. They can also delete templates for workspaces where they are administrators and those child projects.
- Subscription administrators can share templates and set defaults for any workspace and project, as well as delete any project or workspace templates.
Migrate Rich Text (EDP) Templates
You can manually migrate rich text templates (single field, previously available only in Editable Detail Pages) to work item templates.
There is no sharing of rich text templates in EDP with work item templates in QDP. Because rich text templates are not field specific, there is no way for this information to be shared with the work item template model.