CA Agile Central provides several ways for your team to communicate and collaborate on shared work. Depending on your working agreements, your team may choose to collaborate using fields inside of
, apps, shared
views, shared pages and apps, or a combination of these options. Below are some recommendations on how to utilize each
Collaborate with team members includes the following:
Quickly notify team members about work with @mentions. Select the @ button in the rich text editor of the Description, Notes, and Discussion fields to send an instant email notification to the
you mentioned. The @ button is available on user stories, portfolio items, defects, and tasks.
Only team members of the artifact’s
display in the modal. Disabled users do not display. Users must have their email notifications turned on in their settings to receive @mention notifications.
Discussions in CA Agile Central are a collection of conversational comments regarding a specific work item. A discussion provides a collaborative forum for all team members to record input, such as issues,
feedback, observations during development, and other information.
Discussion Summary Page
Each CA Agile Central work item has a Discussion summary page.
To access the Discussion summary page:
- From a detail page, select the Discussions icon.
- The discussion summary page displays:
- The username that submitted a comment
- The date and time a comment was added
- All comments sorted in descending order, with the most recent comment first
- You may view and add comments from the Discussion page. Enter your comment in the Discussion field, then select Post.
- Not threaded conversations, but rather a flat listing of time-ordered comments
- Available for rich-text formatting
- Limited to 4K in size (including formatting)
- Indexed for keyword searches
- Eligible for email notifications
- Not recoverable from the Recycle Bin once deleted
You may quickly view how many comments exist on a specific work item and add or remove comments without leaving the page or app.
Discussion icons are displayed by default on the
Status pages, and Custom List app.
Discussion icons found on cards within board-style apps change color depending on the time the last comment was posted. A discussion with a post less than four hours old displays as dark blue, while older posts display as a lighter blue or grey, so you can see which work items have new information.
You can delete a discussion by hovering on the comment you want to delete and selecting the trash can icon on the right side. Note that a comment is not recoverable from the Recycle Bin once deleted.
You can add the Discussion column to the following pages and apps.
Add a Column
Page or app:
Create a Custom View
Page or app:
Add a Column to a Grid App
Use Cards on a Board App
Recent Activity App
The Recent Activity app allows you to see all recent comments in your current
page, or when installed on a
. The app will show any new comments sorted by time.
Learn more about adding a dashboard app.
You can control which workspace and project to reference using the Settings menu in the app:
- Select the Follow Global Project Setting option to display data from the workspace and project specified in your
You can attach separate documents and files to CA Agile Central work items to further elaborate or explain them:
- Attach mock-ups to describe stories
- Attach error logs and screen shots to clarify defects
- Attach configuration or setup information to prepare test cases
Add and Remove Work Item Attachments
To add an attachment to a work item:
- Create or edit your work item, to have a work item editor window open.
- Select the Browse button next to the Attachments field.
- Browse for the file you wish to attach.
- Select the file name to attach, then select Open.
- Optionally, enter a description for the attachment. The Description field for attachments is limited to 256 bytes of data (256 ASCII characters).
- Select Save to save the attachment and any other changes in the editor window.
Add and Remove Attachments
To remove an attachment:
- Edit your work item.
- From the work item editor window, select the trashcan icon to the right of the attachment.
- Select Save.
Link to Attachments
Share a direct link to an attachment with other team members.
Follow these steps:
- Right-click the attachment file name on the work item detail page.
- Select Copy Link Location to save the attachment URL.
- Paste the attachment URL into another work item field, email message, or other communication.
Each CA Agile Central user has a customizable page under the My Home
called the Dashboard. This page allows you to configure multiple pre-built and custom apps to show a desired set of data. You can use your dashboard to collaborate with one or more teams.
Set Up Your Dashboard
Consult these topics for detailed information on how to configure and use apps in your dashboard:
Below are some suggested apps from the catalog that can help your team collaborate on vital information.
The Blocked Work app shows any work that you or another team member have marked as blocked, due to factors outside of the team's control.
The Custom List app allows you to use sql-like queries to show a set of CA Agile Central work items.
The Custom HTML app allows you to use a custom web script or app. This is useful for linking to other web resources your team may need.
Perhaps the most important graph for determining a team's progress during and after an
, the Iteration Burndown chart is available as an app. If you are involved with multiple teams, you can set up more than one app, each pointing to a different CA Agile Central project.
The Iteration Summary app provides status information for a team's iteration, using simple measurements. The app shows a quick view of the percent of completed work, open defects, and testing status. Recommendations are also provided in the app text if potential issues are detected.
My Action Items Apps
There are three apps that can help you keep track of your commitments to a team. My Defects, My Tasks, and My Test Cases are all set up to show applicable work items that you own. You can create multiple instances of these apps to
on more than one team.
Ready to Accept
The Ready to Accept app displays user stories that are in a completed
with no open defects. This is useful for seeing recently completed work that still needs
by a team lead, product
, or scrum master.
You can use a custom view to display specific data on a CA Agile Central summary page. If your team has a set of criteria that dictates what work items should display on a summary page, you can share your custom view with the entire workspace.
Only workspace and
administrators may share a custom view with other users.
To share a view:
- Open an editor window by creating or editing a custom view.
- In the editor window, select the Shared View checkbox.
Shared Pages and Apps
CA Agile Central allows you to create your own custom pages under each of the main menu tabs—My Home, Plan, Track, Quality, and Reports. These may be personal or shared with other users in the workspace. You can use a custom page to link to a CA Agile Central catalog app, your own custom app, another personal dashboard, or an external URL.
Learn more on how to create and use a custom page.
Share Custom Pages
In a new or existing custom page, administrators can share a page with the entire workspace.
Follow this step:
- Select the Shared with all users checkbox in the list of custom page fields.
Inside of a custom page, you can use one of CA Agile Central's catalog apps. Below are some suggested apps to use for collaboration:
Dependency Status Dashboard #2
If you use predecessors and successors in CA Agile Central to manage dependencies, the Dependency Status Dashboard app can help identify those relationships across multiple projects.
Want to view your iteration progress data in chart form? Use the Iteration Dashboard app. It will show scheduled work, test cases, and defects in a pie chart format, and also include additional
charts. This app also allows you to view work from multiple projects simultaneously.