The Custom List
(formerly known as the Custom Grid) is a powerful tool for helping manage work across enterprise teams. It is utilized commonly in custom pages and dashboards, which are some of the most heavily used pages in CA Agile Central. These pages help focus in on and manage the work most cared about, while also communicating real-time status with the rest of the organization. You can use the Custom List app to prepare, plan and track portfolios, programs and development work.
The Custom List app allows you to set up a view of set of
. You can add multiple copies of the app to a page and set each to display data from multiple projects,
, releases, work item types, or other criteria. For example, you can create one app pulling data from dozens of projects and another one focused on a specific
filtered by iteration,
, and so on.
You can choose which fields display inside of the app and (with most fields) edit the values directly by double-clicking. You can also edit the same field on several work items at once with bulk edit mode. You can change the
of several selected
stories, or associate a group of defects to a
Select the gear menu icon on the app to access the Custom List settings.
- You can enter a new Title for the Custom List and select to follow the global project setting or select a specific project.
- You can set the list to change its data with your global
, or you can choose a specific project or group of projects to work from. If you choose the Follow Global Project Setting, then the contents of the board will change according to your global project picker. Select Choose a Specific Project if you want to see another project's work, regardless of your global project setting.
- Select the Type of work item you would like to display from the drop-down menu.
- Additionally, you can enter a custom query.
- Deselect or select the Show Control Bar checkbox. The Control Bar displays by default on the Custom List app. When the Control Bar is selected, the following capabilities are available:
- Add new work items to the list
- Select filters to apply to the list
- Filter items in the list by owner
- Select columns to display on the list
- Export, import, print
- Pagination (displays if there are 10 or more work items)
Use the App
Add New Work Items
Add a new story, defect,
by selecting Add New.
You can select the Add button to quickly add a new work item and enter details later, or you can select Add with Details to open the editable detail page for the work item and enter details.
Add a Peer or Child Inline
You can inline add a work item by selecting Add Peer Inline from the gear menu of a work item on the grid. Children can be added to a
by selecting the Add Child Inline option in the gear menu.
Sort Items on the List
To sort items in the list in ascending or descending order, click the column header. The Custom List currently allows sorting by single field. For example, if you sort by Rank first and then click the ID column header, the rank sorting will not persist.
Apply Advanced Filters
Use Advanced Filters and Custom Queries
The Custom List app gives you the ability to customize items listed by applying filters and as well as using custom queries. The Filter popover on the app provides dropdown lists where you can easily select values that you want to apply to your list, whereas the Query field requires that you enter a query using the correct syntax to apply to your Custom List.
option allows you to filter, set any field as a quick filter, search, and set up custom filter conditions.
To use advanced filtering, select Add Filter next to the the filtering tray. Default quick filters are owner, schedule
, and type. To add another quick filter, select Add Filter. You can also filter on a blank fields allowing you to filter on items that have fields that have no value or are blank.
By default, multiple filters use an and or condition so all results displayed. Advanced filters help you look for powerful, complex conditions, such as open high-priority defects. You can add an advanced filter by clicking Advanced Filters. To hide your advanced filters, select Hide Advanced. You can see how many filters are applied as the filter icon will list active filters numerically. You can clear your filters by clicking Clear All. Your filters will remain active when you navigate away from the page.
Learn more about advanced filtering here.
Save and Share Views
You can use saved views to save and come back to the views you use most often. To save a view click the Saved Views drop-down. From the drop-down you can save a new view or manage your saved views. By default, saved views are defect status,
status, and test status. You can then share it at the project or
Select Columns to Show on the List
Select the Show Columns icon. Search or scroll to select columns that you want to display on the list. Rank, ID and Name display as columns by default on the Custom List, but you can select to hide these columns by unchecking the checkbox. Select Apply to confirm your selections.
Examples of columns that might be helpful to add to your custom list:
- Blocked - whether or not a work item is blocked
- Collaborators - Count of anyone that has ever worked on the PI or any work item associated with the PI
The pagination component that you see on a number of other CA Agile Central pages is now available on the Custom List app.
Import, Export and Print
You can perform the following actions from the Import/Export/Print icon:
- Import work items
- Export work items to CSV
You can edit the field value of multiple work items at once, using bulk edit mode.
To enter bulk edit mode:
- Select more than one work item by the checkboxes on each row. The gear menu switches to bulk edit mode .
- Select the bulk edit mode gear menu and select Edit.
- Select the field that you want to edit and select a new value.
- Select Apply to edit the selected work items.
You can edit most fields, including custom fields. However, some standard fields and types of custom fields are not supported. See the table below for a list of fields that do not display in the bulk edit chooser:
|Work item type
|All work items
- Rich text fields (Description, Notes)
- Text fields
- Web link fields
- Rich text fields (Expected Result, Validation Input)
- Test Case Result
Bulk Parent or Associate
You can add or change the parent of a group of user stories, or associate a group of tasks, defects, or test cases to related work items in a single step.
To bulk edit the parent or association of a work item:
- Select more than one work item by selecting the checkboxes on each row. The gear menu switches to bulk edit mode. .
- Select the bulk edit mode gear menu and select Choose Parent or Choose Work Product (depending on work item selected).
- From the chooser, search by keyword or ID to locate the work item you want to associate or set as the parent.
- Select the work item and select Choose.
Apply Custom Queries
In the Query field in Settings, you can use SQL-style syntax to write a query with multiple conditions to generate very specific results. For example, you can filter all user stories in project X, completed in iteration Y, owned by user Z, with a
Learn more about writing custom queries:
High priority defects
This shows open P1 defects. Select Defect as your Type in the Settings panel.
Enter the following in the Query field:
((Priority = "Resolve Immediately") and (State < "Closed")) and (Requirement = null))
Support Top 10
Used for a support team who tags up to 10 items that they would like to be fixed soon.
Enter the following in the Query field:
((Tags.Name = "Top10") AND (State < "Closed"))