The Custom List
(formerly known as the Custom Grid) is a powerful tool for helping manage work across enterprise teams. It is utilized commonly in custom pages and dashboards, which are some of the most heavily used pages in CA Agile Central. These pages help focus in on and manage the work most cared about, while also communicating real-time status with the rest of the organization. You can use the Custom List app to prepare, plan and track portfolios, programs and development work.
The Custom List app allows you to set up a view of set of
. You can add multiple copies of the app to a page and set each to display data from multiple projects,
, releases, work item types, or other criteria. For example, you can create one app pulling data from dozens of projects and another one focused on a specific
filtered by iteration,
, and so on.
You can choose which fields display inside of the app and (with most fields) edit the values directly by double-clicking. You can also edit the same field on several work items at once with bulk edit mode. You can change the
of several selected
stories, or associate a group of defects to a
Modify Custom List App Settings
Follow these steps:
- From the app gear menu, select Settings.
- Select the project settings.
- Select Follow Global Project Setting to have the contents of the list change according to your global
- Select Choose Specific Project if you want to see another project's work, regardless of your global project setting.
- Select the Type of work items to include in the list.
- The Query field provides you with a way to filter the data displayed using multiple criteria. You can enter SQL-style queries into the field to find specific work items based on their
, owner, or other fields. For example, you can filter all user stories in project X, completed in iteration Y, owned by user Z, with a
- Select the Show Control Bar checkbox to enable adding new work items,
, and showing columns on the list.
Add New Work Items
Add a new work item, based on the type selected in the app settings.
To add a new work item:
- Select Add New.
- You can enter a name and select the Add button to quickly add a new work item and enter details later, or you can select Add with Details to open the detail page for the work item and enter details.
Add a Peer or Child Inline
You can inline add a peer or child work item.
Follow these steps:
- Select Add Peer Inline from the gear menu of a work item on the grid. Children can be added to a
by selecting the Add Child Inline option in the gear menu.
Sort Items on the List
Sort items in the list in ascending or descending order by selecting the column header. The Custom List currently allows sorting by single field. For example, if you sort by Rank first and then click the ID column header, the rank sorting will not persist.
Use Advanced Filters and Custom Queries
The Custom List app gives you the ability to customize items listed by applying filters and as well as using custom queries. The Filter popover on the app provides dropdown lists where you can easily select values that you want to apply to your list, whereas the Query field requires that you enter a query using the correct syntax to apply to your Custom List.
The advanced filtering option allows you to filter, set any field as a quick filter, search, and set up custom filter conditions.
To use advanced filtering:
- Select Show Filters to open the filtering tray.
- Select Add Filter next to the the filtering tray.
- Default quick filters are owner,
, and type. To add another quick filter, select Add Filter. You can also filter on a blank fields allowing you to filter on items that have fields that have no value or are blank.
By default, multiple filters use an and/or condition so all results are displayed.
- Advanced filters help you look for powerful, complex conditions, such as open high-priority defects. Add an advanced filter by selecting Advanced Filters. To hide your advanced filters, select Hide Advanced. You can see how many filters are applied as the filter icon will list active filters numerically. You can clear your filters by clicking Clear All. Your filters will remain active when you navigate away from the page.
Learn more about advanced filtering here.
Saved and Shared Views
You can use saved views to save and come back to the views you use most often.
To save a view:
- Select the Select or Add Saved View drop-down.
- From the drop-down you can save a new view or manage your saved views. You can then share it at the project or
Select Columns to Show on the List
Select the Show Columns icon. Search or scroll to select columns that you want to display on the list. Rank, ID and Name display as columns by default on the Custom List, but you can select to hide these columns by unchecking the checkbox. Select Apply to confirm your selections.
Examples of columns that might be helpful to add to your custom list:
- Blocked - whether or not a work item is blocked
- Collaborators - Count of anyone that has ever worked on the PI or any work item associated with the PI
The pagination component that you see on a number of other CA Agile Central pages is available on the Custom List app.
Import, Export, and Print
You can perform the following actions from the Import/Export/Print icon:
- Import work items
- Export work items to CSV
You can edit the field value of multiple work items at once, using bulk edit mode.
To enter bulk edit mode:
- Select more than one work item by the checkboxes on each row. The gear menu switches to bulk edit mode .
- Select the bulk edit mode gear menu and select Edit.
- Select the field that you want to edit and select a new value.
Note: You can edit most fields, including custom fields. However, some standard fields and types of custom fields are not supported and do not display in the bulk edit chooser:
|Work item type
|All work items
- Rich text fields (Description, Notes)
- Text fields
- Web link fields
- Rich text fields (Expected Result, Validation Input)
- Test Case Result
- Select Apply to edit the selected work items.
Bulk Parent or Associate
You can add or change the parent of a group of user stories, or associate a group of tasks, defects, or test cases to related work items in a single step.
To bulk edit the parent or association of a work item:
- Select more than one work item by selecting the checkboxes on each row. The gear menu switches to bulk edit mode. .
- Select the bulk edit mode gear menu and select Choose Parent or Choose Work Product (depending on work item selected).
- From the chooser, search by keyword or ID to locate the work item you want to associate or set as the parent.
- Select the work item and select Choose.
High Priority Defects
This shows open P1 defects. Select Defect as your Type in the Settings panel.
Enter the following in the Query field:
((Priority = "Resolve Immediately") and (State < "Closed")) and (Requirement = null))
Support Top 10
Used for a support team who tags up to 10 items that they would like to be fixed soon.
Enter the following in the Query field:
((Tags.Name = "Top10") AND (State < "Closed"))
Custom List source code