Detail pages allow you to quickly and efficiently view or edit fields. The different types of detail pages are:
Quick or Full View Detail Pages
Quick Detail Pages (QDPs) and Full View Detail Pages (FDPs) allow you to efficiently edit fields on
Quick detail pages are designed to provide the most important information about work items quickly and without changing a
's context. When you select a formatted ID, a panel slides out from the right side of your window. You can drag the color bar on the left side to resize the QDP. The maximum size is 800 pixels.
Full view detail pages are high-performance full-page views that provide you with the space to work more efficiently.
The QDP and FDP documentation includes the following topics:
Using the Editor
Detail pages allow you to directly edit fields. If you can see a field and have the correct
, you can edit it. Uneditable fields are grayed out.
- Easily add a parent,
, attachments, tags, or a discussion post.
- Save data automatically when you tab to the next field (or when you select Save).
- Customize the page by showing or hiding any field, including custom fields, anywhere on the page.
- Customize the page by dragging and dropping any field, including custom fields, on the right side of the page.
- Save your customizations to the page without affecting how other users see the work item in other contexts.
- Using work item templates, you can create templates for multiple fields, and can include child tasks. Learn more.
The quick detail page or full view detail page header displays the following:
- Copy Link icon
- Ellipsis (Actions) menu
- Name (FDP only)
- Default View Toggle
- Show Fields
- X (close)
- Collections ribbon
Copy a Link
You can copy the link to the work item in several different formats:
- Markdown, which copies the ID and url in markdown format.
- HTML, which copies the url in "a href=" format.
- Plain, which copies the url with no special formatting.
To copy the link to the work item:
- Select the copy icon .
- From the Copy link dialog, select the copy icon to the right of the type of link you want.
The Actions menu contains actions that can be performed on this work item. Options will vary depending on the type of work item you are viewing, but include New, Copy, Delete, and Print.
- The New action creates a new work item of the same type.
- If the work item selected can be converted to another type of work item, the Convert action is available.
- If the work item selected can be split, the Split action is available. Learn more.
Default View Toggle
A work item editor opens according to your default setting. For instance, if your default is set to open an item using the Quick View, the item opens in the QDP.
To change your default view:
- From any page, select the formatted ID for a work item.
- Select the Default view toggle to switch between Quick View and Full View. The setting becomes your default.
You can show or hide fields on the page.
To show or hide fields:
- Select the Show Fields icon.
- Scroll through the list, or use Search to search for the field name.
- Select fields to show, or deselect fields to hide. Fields that you cannot hide are grayed out.
- Select Apply to apply your selections to the page.
To customize your detail page, you can drag and drop any of the fields on the screen, including custom fields, to arrange them as you like. The customizations that you make to your detail page do not affect how other users see the work item.
To rearrange fields:
- Hover over the left side of the field's title until the
- Drag and drop the field to the new position.
Save or Discard
- Save saves your changes. A green Saved indicator displays at the top of the page confirming the save.
- Discard cancels any changes you have made, and retains your context in the editor.
Select X in the top-right to close the editor and return to previous context. A warning message displays if you have any unsaved changes.
Description and Notes
To use the Description or Notes field:
- Select anywhere inside the field to enable editing or scrolling.
- Drag and drop a picture or table into either field for instant upload.
- Drag the bottom right corner to expand.
- The @ icon allows you to create @ mentions. Learn more.
To add attachments to a work item:
- Drag or select to add attachments in the attachments field.
- Hover over attachment names after upload for a preview.
Across the top of the detail page are icons that link to the following collections:
- Test Cases
- Defect Suites - available on Defect detail pages
- Duplicates - available on Defect detail pages
Select one of the collection icons to view and manage work associated with the original work item. For example, select the Tasks icon to display the Tasks collection page.
You can add a discussion comment when editing a work item. Learn more.
You can add an image as part of a discussion comment. Learn more.
The Discussion field contains an @ icon, allowing you to create @ mentions. Learn more.
You can display pull requests and changesets associated with the work item (if configured). Learn more.
The detail page displays a different set of collections for a test case:
- Test Sets
Learn more about Quality Management.
Bulk Edit Work Items
From a collection page you can perform a bulk edit.
To bulk edit multiple work items:
- Select the desired collection page.
- Select the work items to edit.
- Select the Edit (pencil) icon.
- Select up to four fields to edit across work items. Specify a value for each field.
- Select Apply to save changes.
Add a New Work Item
You can add a new work item of the same type as the collection being displayed.
To add a new work item:
- Select the collection of the type of work item you want to add.
- Select + Add New.
- The work item field is automatically selected based on the collection you selected from the detail page.
- For a quick add, enter the Name and select Create. To add with details, select Create with details.
- You can add child or peer (sibling) items from a collections page that includes user stories or defects. Select a single item in the collection, and the +Child and +Peer buttons become available.
Filter the List of Work Items
You can apply one or more filters to the page using multi-select. Select Apply to save your filters.
Learn more about filtering.
Customize a Collections Page
You can customize the look of a collections page by selecting the columns to display, or reordering the columns.
To customize a collections page:
- Select Show Columns.
- Multi-select columns you want to display on the collections page and select Apply.
- Reorder columns (except for
, ID, and Name) by dragging and dropping the column header to the new location.
Export to CSV
Select the icon to automatically export work items to a CSV file.
Detail Page FAQs
How do I convert from one work item type to another?
- If a work item can be converted to a different type, the ··· (Actions), Convert menu item will be available. Learn more.
How do I know when my data is saved?
- Changes to all fields save when you navigate to the next field or select the Done button.
- A green Saved indicator displays at the top confirming the field has been saved.
How do I get to the full view detail page (FDP) from the QDP?
- Select the formatted ID at the top of the QDP.
- Select the Default view toggle.
If you accidentally close the editor and have unsaved changes, what happens?
- You’ll get a warning message alerting you that you have unsaved changes.
What is the purpose of the Discard button?
- The Discard button removes all changes since the last save.
How do I add an owner to the story or task?
- The owner drop-down menu contains the current owner and all of the people designated as team members on the current project. You can also search to find any user who has editor permissions on the project.
How do I import or export data from the Full detail page?
- You cannot import or export data from the Full detail page.
Where is the back button on the Full detail page?
- The Full detail page does not have a back button. Use the back button on your browser, or select the X in the top right corner.
Editable Detail Pages