Some of the features listed in this document are currently in Beta, please get in touch with your
for more information.
To have your Ideas site set up, please contact your CA Agile Central Sales Representative to get started. If you are unsure of who to contact, please Contact Support for assistance.
To set up the integration between CA Agile Central and CA Agile Central Idea Manager, you will perform setup tasks in both tools.
In CA Agile Central:
In CA Agile Central Idea Manager:
Create a User in CA Agile Central for CA Agile Central Idea Manager
You must be a
administrator in CA Agile Central to create a
. If you do not have these
, ask your CA Agile Central administrator to log in for you.
- Select a workspace in CA Agile Central where you will create user stories from ideas.
- Select Setup mode on the top-right menu.
- Select the Users
- Select the + Add User button.
- Enter the following information:
- User Name: [email protected]<yourcompanyname>.com
- Email Address: <your email address>
- Display Name: CA Agile Central Idea Manager
- For the integration user you defined above, set the user permission to one of the following.
- Workspace user: Restricts the integration to create stories in one or more specific projects. Set workspace access rights to User, then expand the Project tree and select Editor for each project where CA Agile Central Idea Manager will create stories. Note: View permissions will not enable the integration.
- Workspace administrator: Restricts the integration to create stories in all projects for one or more specific workspaces. Set workspace access rights to Admin for each workspace desired.
- Subscription administrator: Enables the integration to create stories in all workspaces and projects. Select the Subscription Admin checkbox.
- Leave the default values for the remaining fields.
- Select Save and Close.
You will receive a welcome email from CA Agile Central with instructions for setting the password for [email protected]<yourcompanyname>.com.
Create Custom Fields in CA Agile Central
You must be a workspace or subscription administrator in CA Agile Central to create custom fields. If you do not have these permissions, ask your CA Agile Central administrator to create them for you.
- Select Setup mode from the top-right menu.
- Select the Workspaces & Projects tab.
- Select the workspace in CA Agile Central where you will create custom fields for user stories.
- Select the Fields link in the sidebar.
- From the Work Product Type drop-down menu, select
- From Actions, select New Field under Work Item Actions.
- Create the Idea URL custom field.
This field provide navigation to the idea in CA Agile Central Idea Manager from CA Agile Central so CA Agile Central users can read the conversation (idea comments) happening in CA Agile Central Idea Manager. Note that when linking multiple ideas to a story, a better place to access the idea URL is in the story Discussions
where URLs for each linked idea are listed.
- Update the form with the following information, then select Save & Close:
- Name: Rally_ideas_URL
- Display Name: Idea URL
- Type: Web Link
Define the Parameters for the Connection to CA Agile Central
You must be an administrator in CA Agile Central Idea Manager to manage the connection between CA Agile Central Idea Manager and CA Agile Central.
From CA Agile Central Idea Manager:
- On the Setup tab, select the Plugins link.
- Enter the information for your CA Agile Central Idea Manager user.
- (Optional) Specify default values for fields in CA Agile Central.
You must do this for every available workspace. Default values are case-sensitive. If a field is listed as required on this screen, you will have to specify a default value.
The field type and allowed values display for the fields, which can help you determine a default value.
Note that the fields that display on this screen will vary based on the workspace you select.
- Select Save.
- Specify the idea status that should be updated when the corresponding user story, defect, or portfolio item status is updated. Specify these statuses for each workspace.
If you select Do Not Update for each row, the Update statuses from CA Agile Central option is removed from the user interface. Changes made to this screen take effect after an administrator selects the Update statuses from CA Agile Central link.
- Select Save.