managers with a view of portfolio items ready to be scheduled to a
. Use the board to prepare for and carry out mid-range planning. Release Planning facilitates release preparation and the planning process at the program level.
The Release Planning Board includes:
Configure Project Scope
To ensure you plan lowest level portfolio items from the correct
, set the
To set project scoping:
- From the app gear menu, select Settings.
- You can set the board to change its data with your global
, or you can choose a specific project or group of projects to work from. If you choose the Follow Global Project Setting, then the contents of the board will change according to your global project picker. Select Choose Specific Project if you want to see another project's work, regardless of your global project setting.
Schedule Portfolio Items
Backlog portfolio items display on the board as cards in the left-most column.
The bar at the top of each Release column represents the Release Capacity. The Release Capacity algorithm is the total number of
divided by the release
To schedule a portfolio item:
- Drag a card into a column to schedule it in a release.
Search for Portfolio Items to Schedule
Use the search
at the top of the Backlog column to quickly find a feature to schedule.
To search for a feature:
- Enter your search criteria in the field at the top of the Backlog column.
- Select the search icon or press Enter.
Quickly View Details
Follow these steps:
- Hover over the ID field of a card to view its description.
- Select the ID to navigate to the feature's detail page.
You can change the ranking of lowest level portfolio items in both the Backlog and the Release columns. Ranking cards can designate priority. Drag a card vertically in a column to change the
Add and Update Lowest Level Portfolio Items
Add new lowest level portfolio items to your backlog, edit details, make copies, and delete from the app/board.
Add New Lowest Level Portfolio Items
To add a new feature to the board:
- Select +Add New.
- Do one of the following:
- Enter a name in the field that displays, then select Add. You can add details later.
- Select Add with Details.
- From the pop-up editor, complete additional fields.
- Select Save & Close.
To edit details:
- You can edit the Name,
fields inline. Enter or select the new field value.
- Press Enter to save your changes. You can also select outside of the card area after editing to save. Press Esc to cancel any changes.
- To view or edit other fields, select the card gear icon and select Edit.
Copy or Delete Cards
The Copy option creates a copy of the feature and any associated tasks.
The Delete option immediately removes the feature from the board and moves it to the Recycle Bin.
To copy or delete a feature:
- Select the card gear icon, and select Copy or Delete.
By default, multiple filters use an and/or condition so all results are displayed. The advanced
option allows you to filter, set any field as a quick filter, search, and set up custom filter conditions. Advanced filters help you look for powerful, complex conditions, such as open high-priority defects.
To use filters:
- Select Add Filter next to the the filtering tray.
- Default quick filters are owner and parent. To add another quick filter, select Add Filter. You can also filter on a blank fields allowing you to filter on items that have fields that have no value or are blank.
- Select Advanced Filters to add advanced filtering. To hide your advanced filters select Hide Advanced. You can see how many filters are applied as the filter icon will list active filters numerically. You can clear your filters by selecting Clear Advanced Filters. Your filters will remain active when you navigate away from the page.
Learn more about advanced filtering here.
Save and Share Views
You can use saved views to save and come back to the views you use most often.
To save a view:
- Select the Saved Views drop-down.
- From the drop-down you can save a new view or manage your saved views. You can then share it at the project or
||What it does
|Drag-and-drop to schedule
||Hover over the card to see the cross-hair cursor that allows you to drag the card into any of the other columns on the board. The Release field is updated when a card is moved from one column to the next.
||Hover over the card to see the cross-hair cursor that allows you to re-rank cards within the same column or re-rank by drag-and-drop from one column to the next.
|Search the Backlog column
||Search for a specific feature by the Name field. Enter criteria in the field at the top of the column and select the search icon, or press Enter.
||What it does
|Quickly view a description
||Hovering over the FormattedID link on the card title (such as F7) will display the Description field in a pop-out.
|View the detail page of a work item
||The FormattedID link on the card title (such as F7) is a URL that will take you to the detail page for the feature.
|View or edit card details
||Displays the details of a feature. Hover over the card, then select the gear icon and select Edit.
|Change the name of a card
||Select the name in the middle of the card to enter inline editing mode. Type in the new name, then select outside of the field.
|Change the owner of a card
||Select the owner name in the header of the card to enter inline editing mode. Use the drop-down to select a new owner, then select outside of the card to save.
||Add a child to the feature directly from the card. Hover over the card, then select the gear icon and select Add child.
|Copy a card
||Creates a copy of the feature and any associated work items. Hover over the card, then select the gear icon and select Copy.
|Delete a card
||Removes the feature from the board and places it in the Recycle Bin. Hover over the card, then select the gear icon and select Delete.
|Mark a card ready-to-pull
||Highlights the card with a green border, indicating the feature is ready to move to the next stage. Hover over a card, and then select the check mark icon at the bottom to mark it ready. Use this same method to remove a ready status.