in CA Agile Central provides an easy way for you to identify problems with current team work. Any time an issue outside your team's control prevents progress, you should mark the work item as blocked to notify team members and other stakeholders.
Blocked status may be applied to many CA Agile Central
- Defect suites
- Test sets
- Portfolio Items
Blocked status can also roll-up to work items that are related to the work item. The following table details what relationships share blocks:
||Related items also blocked
- User story
- Test set
|Child user story
- No related work items are blocked.
Mark a Work Item or Portfolio Item as Blocked
You can block a work item or portfolio item from most views within CA Agile Central. The process includes two steps: mark the item as blocked and provide a reason.
The Blocked status is most effective when the team is holding daily stand-up meetings. This is where team members can discuss why work was blocked.
If a block rolls-up to a related or parent item that you don't want to remain blocked, you can manually edit the item to remove the block.
To block a work item:
- Block a work item or portfolio item the following ways:
- While viewing the work item on a summary
, such as
, select the icon in the Blocked column, turning it red.
- In the editor window for the work item, and select the Blocked button.
- To add a blocked status to a work item from a board view, such as the Team Board or
, hover over the work item
and select the block icon. You can also block a task from the card details display.
- To add a blocked status to a work item from the backlog or a work view, such as the custom grid, select the icon in the Blocked column. You must have already configured the grid to display the Blocked column.
- To add a blocked status to a work item on grids such as the user stories page, or the defects page, double-click the row where you want to enter the blocked reason, then select the icon in the Blocked column. Select the confirm icon to save the blocked reason.
- Provide a reason for blocking the item:
- When you set a block on a card from a board view, the Blocked Reason field will display. You may begin typing in the field after selecting the block icon. When you unblock a card, the Blocked Reason field will automatically clear itself.
- To set a work item as blocked on the
page or a grid, select the blocked icon and enter a Blocked Reason in the pop-up when prompted.
View Blocked Work Items
When a work item is blocked, the Schedule
field is red on summary pages. You may use custom views on summary pages to show only blocked work items.
The Revisions page displays an entry when a block is placed. This will also reveal the date, time, and user that set the block.
You can use the Blocked Work app to get a quick view of any blocked work in your