stories, defects, and
suites into iterations. Topics include:
Schedule work items
Plan work for each iteration by selecting user stories and defects from the
them into an iteration. You can use the Plan
found under the track
to easily schedule
, or install a copy of the Iteration Planning Board. Parent stories do not display in the backlog.
Iteration Planning Board app
Install the Iteration Planning Board
or a custom page to easily view and schedule work.
Backlog user stories and defects display on the board as cards in the left-most column. Cards are ordered by
By default, the next three future iterations display as columns to the right of the Backlog column. Use the arrows to the left and right of the column titles to view iterations further in the past or future. Drag a card into a column to schedule it in the iteration.
You may also use the Plan page to perform the same
operations to schedule work.
To schedule a work item from the Plan page:
- Select the Plan tab, then select the Plan page.
- Locate the user story or defect to be scheduled in the backlog pane.
- Click the work item and drag it into the desired iteration.
Your work item is now scheduled into the selected iteration and the related fields on the item's detail page are updated.
You can schedule a work item by editing the Iteration
To schedule a
from a user story detail page:
- Select the Plan tab, then select the User Stories page.
- Click the highlighted ID of a user story to navigate to its detail page.
- Click Actions, and select Edit.
- From the Edit User Story page, click the iteration or
drop-down listings and select the appropriate time frame.
- Click Save.
The user story is scheduled and can be viewed in the related
and Release Status pages.
View scheduled work items
You can track which user stories, defects, and defect suites have been scheduled for a specific release or iteration.
The actions available on the detail page will vary depending upon the work item detail page being accessed.
From the related Scheduled Summary page, you can:
- Use the Actions options to assist in managing the scheduled items.
- View summary estimate totals for all items scheduled for the displayed release or iteration. The label icon on each column header contains the first letter of your defined unit of measure configured for the
under the Units tab. Hover over this icon to read the full label of your unit measurement.
- Plan Est: The
for the scheduled work items.
Est: The total estimated amount of effort to complete the tasks for the scheduled work items.
- Filter your scheduled items using values such as release, iteration, status, and
- Sort your display using various work item values such as rank, ID, name, release, iteration status, plan estimate, and owner.